Sunday, December 11, 2011

CHEERLIGHTS


I'm hooked up to the CHEERLIGHTS now. I totally cheaped out on the GE lights ($75) and the ioBridge ($120) and initially went with only a single RGB LED ($1.95) and the Arduino Ethernet Shield ($45). It took me a while to figure all this out but it works now. Expect some tutorials over the next few days.

If you don't know what the cheerlights are, check out their website. Essentially the project connects Christmas lights all over the world through the internet. The lights are changing color all over the world, at the exact same time, and anyone with a twitter account (YOU!?) can change the colors. Worldwide. Just tweet your desired color to @cheerlights.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I took a similar approach since I didn't have the Color Lights or the ioBridge either. I put a translucent pill bottle over the LED for a nice display effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a combination of 3 RGB LEDs and used a regular non-Ethernet Arduino. A Python script does the Twitter work and sends color commands over serial USB. Check it out:

    http://www.austinrobertson.com/projects

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pill bottle approach. I will try that. Staring at a bare LED is not ideal. I like the ChristmasTwee! Awesome project, blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow my software only works with red and green right now, need to troubleshoot. All other colors give me a "(no match)"...

    ReplyDelete